Sunday, July 11, 2010

incidence v. coincidence

Had a writing class dream last night in which I was a student and possibly the teacher. It's been a while, I think, since a writing dream.

The teacher brought out a bunch of stories that had, strangely enough, featured Nyquil, which seemed to be inappropriate to the time or place of the story. The teacher than brought up coincidence v. incidence, which was neither here nor there, I think, as far as the students' mistake, but it is an equally important issue. Great writing utilizes incidence in favor of coincidence every day and I sometimes forget that and write foolishly. It's good to know that, inside me, there's a far more clever writer than the one currently in play.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen