Monday, January 26, 2009

Let's talk about our feelings now, shall we?

I gotta say, I'm a pessimist, and though I predicted a negative future, it was always just a defense mechanism. I don't think I really believed in it, that banks would fail, that our powerful nation and nations all around the world would be so prone to the natural order of things. Which is, of course, that nothing lasts forever. I think now is a time, as individuals, to consider the what ifs. The survival guide last resort what ifs. Not that the world is ending tomorrow, but that the way things are and always have been during our lifetime may not be how they remain. Recognized currency isn't a given. Government isn't a given. Grocery shopping isn't a given. What we've established as the essential aspects of our home environment and work lives are far from given. It's important to be creative in these times. Learn skills. And I'm not talking just IT stuff. Learn how to take care of yourself minus luxuries. Luxuries may be batteries, ovens, cars, refrigerators, whatever.

Anyhow, there's that. It makes what I'm working for in my life seem that much more insane. The world will probably be fine. Iceland will probably be fine. But you never know when you're gonna end up sharing a shack next to the train tracks with four other people and no running water. So.

I'm reading about five different books right now, but none have me hooked. I don't know if it's the books' fault or mine. I'm inclined to think the books, since I can sometimes become completely immersed.

25. Irritated. Lonely. Whiny. Unable to quash my resentment at perceived injustices. Lazy at times. Slovenly at times. Lascivious at times. I should just stay away from times. Need a fucking hair cut.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen