Sunday, January 28, 2007

Film

This weekend in film:

Catch and Release -- my friend is from Boulder so she wanted to go see it. We saw it. Kevin Smith kept an otherwise sleep-inducing movie on the right side of a coma.

Wordplay -- the documentary about crossword puzzles moves sluggishly until the Stamford tournament at the end. Not to be watched within twelve hours of Catch and Release or within three hours of driving a car/operating machinery (heavy or otherwise).

The Latin Movie III -- my friend, fellow Yalie Charles Umiker, is a Latin teacher at Duchess Country Day School in New York. Every year he and his 7th graders make a film, and it is friggin' hilarious. To see clips of little kids pretending to be Zeus, Pandora, and others, go to youtube and type in latinology.

The Paper Chase -- this supposed classic about first year Harvard Law students isn't exactly Legally Blonde, and it holds up as poorly as I'm betting the Reese Witherspoon film will in 30 years.

1 comment:

Fonzy Mann-Johnson said...

That's funny. Charles and I were Latin buddies in Middle School.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen