Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Snow!

Southern Connecticut is finally seeing a little action. A very little. Just a flurry, really, of large snowflakes. I think there are about 36 in a whirlwind outside my window.

Right now I am working on my critical thesis for my Master's, which is either going to be about young poets from ex-Soviet states or the theory and practice of translation in poetry. Or both.

The flurry seems to be leaving -- and probably winter along with it. Blast you, El Nino!

Saw Children of Men last night. Very good, heart-pounding film. There's one scene where you get your hopes up that humanity is redeemable. And then. Sigh. Not so much. But I'm glad because Cuaron could have really destroyed the film at any point in the last ten minutes or so (in about half a dozen different ways) but he didn't. This, of course, may be a misplacement of credit, but since I have not read the P.D. James novel on which the film is based, I have no idea how closely the film sticks to the book. So.

Oh, and last but not least, Friday Night Lights is on tonight. Peter Berg, the pilot's writer and director, has created the best new TV show you're not watching. Seriously. I don't give a crap about football, and I wasn't totally blown away by the movie. One critic said it was the best, most honest show about high school since Freaks and Geeks -- and I think it's fair to say that if you liked FandG, you'll enjoy FNL, so please start watching it. Not to slam Texas, but it's the best thing to come out of there in a long time.

Right-o. Shower time.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen