Monday, January 22, 2007

Pats lose... weird dreams...

The Pats' loss means I don't have to wait at the airport for four hours for my grandparents to pick me up Superbowl Sunday. I know that won't come as any consolation, but...

I just woke up from THE most bizarre dreams. First, for some reason my parents had decided to purchase more and more puppies, including two we had to train inside some sort of solarium. My mom named one "Artemis" (perhaps the most bizarre part of the dream -- my mom would never name a dog after a Greek god) and we named the other. I came up with "Soupbowl" so we could call the dog "Soup," "Bowl," or "Zuppa." In the corner of the solarium, just to add to the weirdness, was a "Merry Christmas" inscribed in sand and dated from some random summer month in the 80s. I'm sure there was other stuff but the memory is fading.

Cut to a Yale Law School interview for a full scholarship. I have never had any desire to go to law school but from my brilliant interview, I'm starting to wonder. First of all, for every part of it, I had to change my clothes, using whatever I had with me and a dress in the woman's closet (I think this might have been heldover from a forgotten middle dream). During my interview, I talked about the other places I was applying -- San Diego, West Virginia, another place in California, and some random place like St. Louis or NC or Michigan. Can't remember. I told her my interest in law stemmed from my study of anthropology in college and how even the smallest society needs rules so each person can feel safe among others and that each person is endowed with the privilege and responsibility to respect the safety of the others in the group, and so on (I think I said it better there)... Not bad for my dream self. When she asked me what I wanted to do with my law degree, I said, "Be a lawyer -- I know radical -- and I'm interested in copyrights and permissions, specifically, plagiarism cases."
This is where things started getting too weird for believability. As a bunch of other girls came in, like a pageant, and an old man in a wheel chair, a woman in the back started talking about Brad Pitt in Babel and how he was holed up in a nearby hospital (we couldn't decide in which) and this was somehow connected to my last response. Then the old richie rich woman who had been conducting the interview asked me about the old shabby coat I (a young filly) was wearing. I told her this young filly was wearing an old coat cause she couldn't afford to shed it just yet and get a young coat. Everyone laughed, and then the man in the wheelchair asked why we deserved 35,000 dollars a year from him to attend the law school and has all pair up to ask each other what we had learned about being rich and poor. So that's when I woke up, still considering my answer to that question.
If you're curious, it's that it is commonly said that being poor requires you to be creative, and while it does, it does not follow that poor people are, in fact, creative and the only ones who are so. Some, due to lack of creativity, die, go mad, or become homeless. (Harsh, but true). And there are quite alot of rich people who are "creative" with their money in ways that can either further their wealth or suck it all away. There's also everyone in between. So what you learn about being rich or poor is that there is no generalization that proves accurate for all.
Right-o. Have a nice Monday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay Yale Law School!

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen