Monday, May 7, 2007

the list

Being a book junkie, I tend to read all the online literary mumblings I can get my mouse on. In the past few weeks I have read articles bemoaning the lack of "comic" novels and "work" novels.

What I want to know is, where are all the "cardboard coaster" novels? Or all the "hidden-picture-within-a-novel" novels? Or all the "coral reef" novels? Or all the "slightly mundane in the beginning, until the middle where you realize that the novel is a metaphor on the mundanity of life, until the end where you realize the novel is a parody of those novels that try to be metaphors on the mundanity of life" novels? Or "purty-is-an-acceptable-spelling-of-the-word-pretty" novel?

Actually, I don't want to know where all these novels are because my list of books to read (and this is just the list of travel books) is already too long. But if anyone HAS read any books with cardboard coasters in it, you know, the kind with frat-wit beer company puns on'em, let me know. That's something for which I'd be happy to kick Homage to Catalonia(or whatever)off.

UPDATE: News mirrors fiction I'm writing. A bear sighting in the news, after I just decided to put a bear in my book.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen