Monday, May 28, 2007

on the predilection for daughters...

Well, at least in titles.
Joyce Carol Oates' new novel "The Gravedigger's Daughter" comes out any moment now, which got me to wondering why there are so many titles with "The (Person Id'ed by Occupation)'s Daughter" and so few with "Son." And then I realized it's because that if the novel were about a man, it would just be about the man, but in these books, it's not just about the woman, it's also about her father and, usually, the reason why she is now about to be killed or has already been killed by sociopaths in Brooks Brothers suits.

But I don't want to do too much literary/feminism theorizing since I am so bored by this reoccuring "Daughter" title (The General's Daughter, The Bonesetter's Daughter, The Memory Keeper's Daughter, etc., etc.) that I don't read books with said names, though so many are bestsellers. Actually, now that I think about it, I could totally change the title of my book to "The Bankrobbers' Daughter..." assuming that hasn't already been taken.

Books I would actually read:

"The Sanitation Worker's Stepson"
"The Skull Grinder's Vegan Nephew"
"The Cardiothoracic Surgeon's Second Cousin Twice-Removed"
"The Prostitute's Grandmother on Her Father's Side"
"The Bottle Cap Collector's Long-Thought-Dead Younger Sister"
"The Landscape Architect's Adopted Parents"
"The Secretary of Agriculture's Transsexual Sibling"

and last, but not least,

"The Poultry Offal Icer's Brother by Another Mother"

Anyone care to add to the list?

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen