Monday, May 28, 2007

On the Lot

I'm watching "On the Lot" and someone needs to give Garry Marshall a shake. So far, he has told each of the female directors that he loves woman directors and it's important that there be more and that we get more female perspectives, so on and so forth. No one would accept it if he said, "I love black directors, I think there should be more black directors" or "gay directors" or "bald directors" or "one-armed directors" because it sounds like the worst kind of affirmative action, where he can't get the person's minority status out of the way of the film. Just talk about their work and their work alone, for crying out loud.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen