Wednesday, August 22, 2007

the complex

My apartment has that 70s noirish Valley-thing going for it. A little LA Confidential, a little Elliot Gould does the hardboiled detective with a Jewfro-gig. Thin walls, Venetian blinds, a baby screaming upstairs (neglected or just colicky, who can tell?), the kind of place where a guy might go to interview the roommate of the dead mol who just washed up on the banks of a dried-up Ventura swimming pool, if you know what I mean, and she answers the door in nothing but eyeliner, a white T-shirt, underwear, and a Lucky Strike. She invites him in, half-listening as she reads the trades and sips her coffee (an aspiring actress who works the night shift at Mel's Drive-In) without any reaction as he lets her know her missing half of the rent just kicked the bucket. Damn, this baby's still screaming. Should I call someone? I hear it crying alot. Then again, babies cry alot...
Anyhow, that's why I'm not asleep. Thinking about pimps and producers and all this other LA neon lights, hot city stuff.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen