Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Little Miss Nomad, Mountain Climber Extraordinaire

has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

I'm in Vegas, au moment, but back in Utah on Monday, we visited Arches National Monument, where the most beautiful natural rock formations make their home.

To see the Delicate Arch, the most famous of the arches, you have to take a 1.5 mile "moderately strenuous" walk up the sheer, slippery face of a sandstone mountain. We did it in 100 degree heat. I am very tan now, a little sunsick, and have driven so much, I now consider myself an expert driver.

Tuesday morning we drove through Monument Valley, saw some dinosaur fossils in Navajoland, I found a dinosaur tooth (I think), and then we hit the Grand Canyon. After the majesty and grandeur of Utah, not to mention all the collected hours in the car, the Grand Canyon is still breathtaking and remarkable -- but only for about 20 minutes. Then my sister and I both just wanted to get on with it.

Route 66 was pretty fantastic though. No one on the road.

So last night we hit the Vegas Strip, which is gross, so bright and shiny you can see the grime even better. It was over 100 last night, and let me tell you, the strip is long, and when you're suffering from heatsickness, it's dreadful to have to walk it, which is what I did to appease my photohound little sib. But I have to say, the Bellagio is remarkable.

Anyhow, will soon be in LA. Looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would take 2 negative messages - trans: positive.
Love your page. I have added AE (Amanuensis Extraordinaire) to my professional email signature. I am planning to retire soon and wish I had your adventurous demeanor. Any advice for a platinum brunette who would like to explore the US?

Little Miss Nomad said...

The greatest places I've been have been Louisiana, Colorado, Utah, and California. I would still like to hit Montana and Hawaii, but I would suggest, if you really want to see the US, find a friend or family member who can take the same week of vacation as you, pick a few states together and use the Internet (Google Maps, Lonely Planet, etc.) to make a rough itinerary, then get in the car and go! If you're located in the East and want to focus on seeing things in the West, or v-v, it gets a little more expensive in time and money -- you may want to fly to your first location, rent a car, and then fly back to your home from the endpoint. There's always ways of figuring things out--the first time I drove across America, I searched Craigslist and found a way to do it with someone else's car! The main thing is, we never know how long we have on this Earth, so if you really want to do something and can find a way, find it!

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen