Friday, February 15, 2008

Persepolis and the coconut

I'll admit it. I'm a tough nut to crack. I'm jealous and not easily impressed by writers I see in real life. They strike me as insincere, grasping, frauds. Whether they're poets, novelists, screenwriters, or journalists, there's but a few, even of the ones I admire as actual writers, who I don't find lacking in person.

So look at me, worshiping at the feet of the uber-cool Marjane Satrapi, author/artist of Persepolis. If you saw her on Jon Stewart, you didn't really get the full picture. This woman is smart, funny, and doesn't care what other people think. She cares about people, of course, but has a very definite, well-formed idea of goodness, sincerity, integrity, and non-judgment. Not only that, she's supremely talented too. I admire the hell out of her.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen