Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Darjeeling Limited

I know better. Wes Anderson has a fishing lure of bright colors, dry humor, exotic locales, and Owen Wilson, and I'm hooked. It's only later that I'll realize it's attached to a long line that yanks me out of the water into a sunlight that's going to broil me alive and steal all my oxygen.

In other words sometime the trailer is as much of a Wes Anderson movie as I can take.

OK, not really true. I've seen his entire oeuvre (well, maybe not Bottle Rocket... I get it confused with The Rocketeer, which I'm also not sure if I've seen or not -- this is why I now keep track of these things) and it's all been entertaining.

But.

Sometimes the films are a little bit suffocating. Sometimes they spend too much time in their own metaphysical heads...

He's not the only director who does this. Paul Thomas Anderson, who I assume he is no relation to, also has a tendency to be a little too cool. I will still see all his movies because they are amazing and funny and beautiful. But I know to prepare myself because the film will undoubtedly feel longer than it is.

The Coen Brothers teeter. I met one of the Coen brothers once. Ethan -- the one not married to Frances McDormand. He's a cool cat.

Anyhow, Darjeeling looks swell, and I have nothing but the highest hopes that it will be genius. Actually, same for No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood.

I guess you can't teach a fish new tricks either.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen