Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Resolutions

I wonder if any writer has ever met a resolution they liked. For any character, for any person, resolution only comes with death -- which, in of itself, is only a resolution for the character who dies; for everyone else it's likely to only bring up more problems. Mysteries can have resolutions easily, but in a story based on character more than anything else, resolutions are impossible and, actually, bad.

So I think I'm just going to go with that impulse. To finish telling my story but not to tie up all the ends with some of the extensive amount of hemp I acquired at camp (I'm currently wearing two bracelets and an anklet -- thanks Ericka and Dana!). Just be aware that I'm only telling the story, really, of this period of time in these people's lives, along with background, but not really the future. A little of the future, but just for one character, and it's not the central protagonist. More importantly, I think, are the subplots and side stories that aren't so much going to be left dangling but as... well... they're all stowaways in my novel anyhow. Might as well throw them overboard. The people on the ship don't know what happens to them, and neither do we. We'll assume sunstroke and dehydration, leading to hallucination and eventual death, possibly cannibalism as well...

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen