Thursday, July 19, 2007

unbelievable

Not a single Emmy nod for Friday Night Lights when it was the best thing on TV this year by yards and yards? Seriously, James Spader over Kyle Chandler? Anyone over Zach Gilford? I mean, WHAT??? The fact that it wasn't up for Best Drama Series is the most distressing snub.
Assuming awards mean anything. I just hate that all these inferior shows got nods and FNL got zilch. It pretty much negates the point of the Emmys (to award the best shows and acting/writing, so on and so on, as opposed to the most popular).
For once, I have no desire to watch the Emmys. Because, really, who cares?

Watched Sayles' Casa de Los Babys last night. Very different from Eight Men Out. No real plot, as it were, but a voyeuristic watching of these people in this part of Mexico, the people who run the Casa, work there, street kids who inhale spray paint, and the American women who come here for babies. All the actresses are great in their small but detailed parts. While I love Lili Taylor, hers feels the least subtle and nuanced of the parts; she's just a NYC woman with a well-earned superiority complex. Mary Steenburgen is awesome, as is the Irish woman and Maggie Gyllenhaal as the ultimate gringa. Marcia Gay Harden is frighteningly good at being a creepy overwhelming bitchtista and Darryl Hannah makes athleticism tragicly gorgeous. The Mexican maid, Asuncion, played by Vanessa Martinez (she's 4 years older than I am and looks 10 years younger) is minimalistic perfection, and Martha Higareda, who plays the 15 year-old pregnant girl, says little, and says it well.

Right, so not a particularly awesome movie, but it certainly has value. I kind of wish it had been a miniseries. I prefer full resolution...

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen