Tuesday, June 5, 2007

girls and body image, zucchini cake

Being largely one of those people who likes some distance between their mouths and vegetables, it may be somewhat surprising that I am head-over-heels for zucchini chocolate chip cake. My mom made it last night, and I love it just as much today as I always have.

Apparently, some horrible woman named MeMe Roth with the National Action Against Obesity group said she "saw diabetes" when she looked at AI winner Jordin Sparks. Though the death threats against her are equally reprehensible, does this woman not understand that to say such a thing of a 17 year-old girl can have irreperable damage. Why do you think all these starlets in Hollywood are drug addicts and anorexic -- because their weight is a subject of constant focus in the media. Jordin had the misfortune of being a traditionally-built girl who had to stand next to petite Ryan Seacrest who, in comparison, made her look enormous. But she's beautiful and her health and eating habits are none of anyone's business. Trying to fight obesity is a great thing, but saying a 17 year-old girl makes you think of heart disease puts you on the same level as Don Imus.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen