Tuesday, June 12, 2007

phrases I've invented, the strangeness of Esquire, flat tires

My car is falling apart. First, the crash, then my tires give up the ghost. Oy.

Instead of referring to tall thin people as string beans, what about calling them haricot vertical? Ants coming out of the woodwork in droves? A wainscoterie...

That was fun.

Esquire gave a funny blurb for their upcoming July issue, which features a novella by the King. Pay specific attention to this last sentence

According to Esquire, "The Gingerbread Girl" tells "the story of Emily, who flees to the secluded Vermillion Key off of Florida's coast after the death of her infant child. Her new neighbor also enjoys the privacy of the key, but the women he brings with him never return home. Emily's curiosity leads her right into the hands of the madman, but it's her legs that are her only hope for survival."

Her legs are her only hope for survival? Are we talking Rose McGowan fashion in Grindhouse? Is she going to shoot him with a peg leg-AK47? Or just beat him senseless with legs that he may or may not have already sliced off? Are we merely talking outrunning him? Kicking him in the crotch? Does she wear stilettos? Is her foot fungus lethal?

I can't imagine putting so much pressure on my legs. They're nice, but pretty wimpy when it comes down to facing off against evil Stephen King characters...

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen