Friday, June 22, 2007

How do you translate A Clockwork Orange into Russian?

I ask specifically about Russian because the slang in the book depends largely on Russian written out phonetically in our letter system. I think this is a clever way of creating a futuristic slang (especially considering back when it was written people thought the Russians were going to take over everything), but what would you do, or what has been done, when it's translated into Russian? Alot more Russians know English than the other way around, so I don't know how effective making the futuristic slang English written phonetically in the Cyrillic alphabet would work... anyone know the answer to this? It's sad that they'd never have horrorshow (which is from kharasho, which means good in Russian) in not just a Russian translation, but any outside of English. It's such a book for an English audience and, moreso, for one with a basic knowledge of Russian.

Wrenched my shoulder lifting weights yesterday. Heaving giant tomes for the Yale library apparently did not do anything for my upper body strength. Criminy.
In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen