Sunday, June 10, 2007

summer lovin'

Everyone has a "best songs of summer" list, but that clearly changes every year, or every week, as the case may be. I don't consider this definitive for any day but June 10, 2007.

OK, time for uptempo, upbeat, chipper and cheerful summer music mix making. The key to the summer mix is not to keep a song off because it's embarrassing. If it's something you'd dance to in the privacy of your bedroom, put it in, even if it is a showtune.

Of course, "Summer Nights" from Grease, courtesy of Olivia Newton-John Travolta, would be on that list. Here are other ones that I'd put in a mix.

"Wipe Out" the Surfaris (unfortunately, Peewee ruined "Tequila")
"Help Me, Rhonda" The Beach Boys
"Zoot Suit Riot" Cherry Poppin Daddies
"Rock Steady" No Doubt
"Boogie Shoes" KC and the Sunshine Band
"Summer Sunshine" the Corrs
"Smile" Vitamin C (if it's not too commercial for you)
"Steal My Sunshine" by Len (terrible singing voice, but still)
"Grace Kelly" MIKA
"Surf City" Jan and Dean
"Summer Love" Justin Timberlake (if you haven't heard it on the radio too much)
"Vacation" or "We Got the Beat" the Go-Gos
"War" Edwin Starr (just for the "Good God, y'all")
"School's Out" Alice Cooper
"Walking on Sunshine" Katrina and the Waves
"Low Rider" War
"American Woman" by Lenny Kravitz
"Barbara Ann" by The Beach Boys (which my generation knows best for its moment in the sun on "Saved by the Bell")
"Here Comes the Sun" George Harrison

OK, I think that's good for now. I don't even own half these songs, but... maybe soon...

What would you include? I deliberately left off some obvious ones like "Margaritaville" and Will Smith's "Summertime," which I just don't like that much... No Don Henley either please, thanks.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen