Friday, May 23, 2008

dreams and dirt

I'm at work right now, doing nothing but listening to Heart's "These Dreams" and writing this blog.
Last night, I made dirt cupcakes. I think we had dirt pudding for birthdays when I was a kid, which was, of course, a Woman's Day magazine recipe or something that my mom used as sort of a personal culinary Bible for kids. If you don't know what dirt pudding is, you've had a horrific childhood. Basically, you take chocolate pudding, cool whip, more chocolate pudding, crushed Oreos and gummy worms and layer it in that order. If you want, you can mix the crushed Oreos into the chocolate pudding (I like it like that). So for cupcakes, since pudding doesn't transport well, I made chocolate cupcakes with crushed Oreos inside, triple chocolate chip frosting with --
Hold on.
Man, I love this song.
OK, frosting with crushed Oreos, and, of course, gummy worms. Unfortunately, with cupcakes, you can't do the Cool Whip, which is gross anyway, but I would have liked something to break up the chocolate, and the gummy worms just kind of lay flat.
BUT, after being in the fridge, they are delicious. Recommend hugely.

Last night, I had this crazy dream that I was at my grandmother's house and bears (real, big, giant, scary-as-hell bears) were just everywhere, and we were trapped in my grandparents' bedroom, the only non-infested area of the house, along with the attached attic and bathroom. I wanted to call 911, but my mother called to see how much it would cost to get the police to get the bears out, and it was going to be a ridiculous amount of money, so she thought we could handle it on our own...
with pillows.
Anyhow, I looked out the window to see if the bears that had been outside earlier were awake yet (they had just been sleeping en masse in the alleyway between our house and the next door apartment building/dorm and possibly my former residence) and saw that at least one appeared to have been crushed by falling rock--from God knows where. There was a girl looking out the window across the street, and I asked her if there were bears in the dorm, and she said yes, but that they were only there because they had no food and had been attracted by the smell of Halloween candy (it was November in my dream) and that they would move along soon.
Then I went and hid in the attic while my parents dillydallied and played around with some wooden letter puzzles from my childhood, found some Hello Kitty stationery, and woke up.

This may have all been because I was really afraid my roommate was going to bring in a stray cat from outside, or it may be because of nothing and further proof that dreams mean nothing, except when they're of me being really successful and happy.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen