Saturday, April 28, 2007

Adventures in linguistics

Overheard on the radio the other night "Get your drink on (also in the infamous Will Ferrell-Pearl short), get your eat on." Homage to that great phrase "get your groove on," and so I suppose there are endless variations. "Get your infinitive verb on." "Get your swim on" would be a good one for the beach.

I think it would be absolutely brilliant if one of the winner of one of these "talent" reality shows emulated the winner of Australia's Next Top Model who, after going through medical trauma to win the honor, decided she didn't actually want to be a model. How amazing would it be if whoever won American Idol decided -- like the day after s/he won -- that s/he actually wanted to be a doctor instead and didn't want to sing anymore? Fantastic.

Attended Lucy's dance show after a day of not doing any writing whatsoever. A Jackie Brown lookalike rocked the house (re: res college) and another girl had deer-in-the-headlights eyes that seemed less a matter of nerves and more a congenital issue. The latter disturbed the hell out of me, but that's because I'm not a good person.

Must get down to business. I've been playing alternate scenes in my head daily, trying to decide how things will happen, and sometimes I get jammed into a room and I don't know what people are doing there or why, and I just have to wait for them to tell me how to get out. Sometimes things have to be thrown off of roofs, but that's life. Can't do anything about it.

The remaking of "She's Like the Wind" is the most outrageous thing I've heard in awhile, even in a musical season which has given us "This is Why I'm Hot." Not only don't I see the point of remaking a seriously cheesy song that can only be loved b/c Patrick Swayze sings it and it's Dirty Dancing's major unused anthem, but the remake of it changes the lyric from "Just a fool to believe I have anything she needs," the remark of someone insecure in love, to "Just a fool to believe she's got anything I need," which is machismo bull and makes no sense within the context of the song.

OK, doke. G'night.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen