Saturday, April 14, 2007

So I guess Chumbawumba and Aqualung are off the table, then

Per the LA Times, the Swedish National Tax Board has refused a Swedish couple's petition to name their child Metallica.
I guess Jason Lee (father of Pilot Inspektor) is happy he's not Swedish right about now.

I'm not sure why Metallica is worse than Fritjof or Hampus, but I suppose that's because I'm not Swedish.
A good question is, was the rejection purely because the Board feels children shouldn't be named after bands, because the name Metallica is just plain weird, or simply because the Board doesn't like Metallica music? If it's the latter and the Board were more into Radiohead, for example, would that name be permitted? What about Switchfoot (that's kind of Native American sounding)? Wilco? Toad the Wet Sprocket? Kajagoogoo?

What band would be an acceptable name for a child? What wouldn't?
I think Procol Harum or Three Dog Night would be splendid names for a young boy, and Oasis might be a cool girl. I'd draw the line at Incubus or Garbage, though.
That would just be cruel.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen