Thursday, April 5, 2007

rounding out the top 5 comedies of the 21st century

I completed my thesis!
Hoorah!
While it get velo bound at the local print shop (apparently, Staples doesn't do that anymore), I'm finally getting around to eating today, only to find that there is little more in the house than Kapop 94% Fat-Free Butter Microwave Popcorn, which, to this microwave popcorn conoisseur, tastes like dishtowel.

In other news I'm plum worn-out.

Tuesday I took time out of my thesis-writing bonanza to go see Blades of Glory, which is a sublimely ridiculous film. I don't quite get the appeal of Jon Heder, and Jenna Fischer has the thankless task of playing the straight woman in this crazy caper, but Will Ferrell delivers. Despite its painful "let's parody The Cutting Edge" premise and general stupidity, the chase scene between Will Arnett and Ferrell is comic gold.

On that note, my list of top 4 comedic films made since 2000 (in no particular order):

Dodgeball
The 40 Year-Old Virgin
Wedding Crashers
Zoolander

I also admire Talladega Nights and Elf a great deal, but the former is a little too long and Elf I would categorize under a family film, as opposed to straight up comedy, which is also how I feel about the divine Little Miss Sunshine. Bridget Jones' Diary was too much a romantic comedy and all Wes Anderson's stuff is too clever. Identity was damn funny, but it wasn't supposed to be. Anchorman is better the second-time around, but I still have trouble putting it in the same league as the others. Anyone care to help me think of a good #5 (best comedic film of the 21st century). Dude, Where's My Car? doesn't qualify because it came out in 2000, which, technically, to be a total geek is still the 20th century. Also unacceptable, any Mike Myers films, any American Pie movie, any Scary Movie-type film, and Old School.

I have faith in Jason Bateman, so The Ex could be good...

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen