Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Fracture plus

My temp job is backbreakingly laborious, physical manual labor, which is sort of pleasant and sort of wretched. Much like farming, I imagine, were it indoors and mustier.

The winner of the UK's National Story Contest can be read (and I advise you do so at once)at
http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/article_details.phpsearch_term=julian+gough&id=7361

It's quite entertaining. I heartily approve of their decision.

Also, last night I saw Fracture featuring the as-always lovely Mr. Gosling and, unbeknownst to me, acquaintance and fellow Yale alum Zoe Kazan. Well done, Zoe -- I'm supremely jealous right now. The film is overdramatic and the "how'd he do it" crystal clear from the get-go, but I certainly enjoyed watching it, though I felt bad that the one woman's role with anything resembling meat (and it was probably just Quorn), the lawyer-boss-g/f, was made absolutely 100% unbelievable by giving it to a Barbie doll. Deeply, deeply weird casting decision. Also, I didn't understand what Anthony Hopkins was doing with a half Scottish accent. Loved him, but the voice was bizarro-world.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen