Monday, April 9, 2007

April is National Poetry Month

OK, rather than point you in the direction of good poetry, I will point you in the direction of poetry that, frankly, should not have been published.

This week's TLS, for example, has a poem by a writer who I actually quite like, Derek Mahon. Unfortunately, his poem is an example of the biz publishing a name without actually debating the quality of the poem. The poet is clearly pandering the subject of the poem to an ill-fitting form that would have been better off discarded.

Here it is, and if you disagree, please educate me as to why.
http://tls.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25345-2631226,00.html

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen