Monday, April 16, 2007

protest

I've embraced healthy eating. Hell, I've even advocated it. Egg whites, whole-grain breads and cookies, baked instead of fried, low-calorie, low-fat, organic, free-range, everything, and always, more fruits and vegetables, so on and so forth. I have no problem with this trend.

But I will not adulterate the purity of grilled cheese. White bread. American cheese. A skillet and butter. You want tomato or bacon on it, fine, whatever, but do not put your fancy breads or weird cheeses on me. If it can't be paired with Campbell's tomato soup, it's not grilled cheese. If it's bitter or not greasy, it's not grilled cheese. If it's got meat, could be sold at a nice restaurant, or even thinks about being good for you, it's not grilled cheese.

So back off the grilled cheese, NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/dining/11appe.html?ref=dining
You will not get a second warning.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen