Monday, December 31, 2007

2007, your time's up

I've missed New Haven, particularly the delectable Bar pizza I ate last night, but besides my family and a handful of friends, I don't miss Wallyworld at all. And I'm hoping when I leave my cold won't follow me back to LA.

Today is the last day of 2007. A good day for a wrap-up. I know I've promised a show on January 2, but it just may not happen. I've had some "technical difficulties" and have been working on borrowed computers and borrowed time. The winners will get some kind of show, but it may be belated and it will probably only be a script of the dream show I imagined. It's hard to bring your vision to life without a reliable crew.

Anyhow. It's been a pretty good year. I've traveled through about half of the United States, driving up and down the east coast twice, and across the country once. I've read a whole heap load of books (can't tell you exactly how many) but some of them were pretty great... I'll make a top ten list when I can get into my computer again. And the movies - well, they'll get their own nominations in the New Year. I like the wrap-ups and top ten lists, probably because I'm an argumentative person, and they always give me a chance to vehemently disagree.

I saw several movies this week: P.S. I Love You, Walk Hard, Sweeney Todd, and I Am Legend. None of these films really broke the mold, but they all had their moments of worth. You don't know, but this is supermagnanimous of me. I Am Legend had the good fortune of being carried on Will Smith's exceedingly capable shoulders. It's no 28 Days Later, but it's not entirely predictable (unless you've read the book), which you can't really say about the other holiday fare.
I'm not really going to do a breakdown of the films' qualities and downfalls. I will merely say that Paul Rudd's impersonation of John Lennon is worth the 10 dollar ticket and we are reminded that John C Reilly has one of the best singing voices in Hollywood, Sweeney has alot of fine things about it, particularly the acting, but the buckets of blood look like paint, and P.S. I Love You is vastly better than the superficial stupid book, but that's only because Gerard Butler and Jeffrey Dean Morgan could easily rule the world if the rest of the world were made up only of straight women and gay men. We would all happily be their slaves.
Just a head's up.

Also, my lack of pumpkin consumption in the last week has been a crime. A CRIME. Hopefully, this will be rectified in the new year.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen