Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I don't have much of a desire to rant today. I think I'm just going to read Baudolino and play mini golf with my grandparents.

Baudolino is fascinating because I'm reading this "faked" history in translation. While William Weaver gives us some fine prose, the parts where he has to translate poetry or song must be literal translations because they are utterly lacking in musical quality -- while I assume this to be a Weaver problem, not an Eco problem, I could be mistaken. Unfortunately, I don't have any Italian Eco on hand, so I don't know that I'll be able to resolve the question anytime soon.

I recently read these http://www.onspec.ca/guide_lexicon.php "guidelines" on the dos/do nots of writing, and while none of them are exactly revelatory, I have yet to find a piece of good, even great, literature that does not indulge in one of those "do nots" from time to time. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think at the end of the day, if you've written something you can read out loud with pride, then you've done well.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen