Friday, March 30, 2007

St. Augustine -- I See the Lousy Parts So You Don't Have To

If you've been to Europe, it's hard to be too blown away by St. Augustine, but if you're with people who like to walk around alot, why not? I found the grounds of most of the museums to be nicer than the actual buildings and exhibits. But the Castillo de San Marco was pretty cool. Great views of Anastasia Islands and the port. I think the main thing is to stay in St. Augustine, at an inn or something. We're staying at a Hampton Inn right off I-95, so it's not quite the same. On the tourist trolley going through the city, I noticed a bunch of places I wish we had time to visit and regretted spending so much time at the "Fountain of Youth" (which is only cool b/c they have albino peacocks and lovely grounds) and the Old St. Augustine Village, which isn't that old (and is only nice b/c of the gardens, and honestly, considering how expensive tickets are, probably not worth the price). Cheaper would be walking and windowshopping through downtown St. Augustine, down George and Spanish Streets, and checking out the Flagler College grounds, which used to be gorgeous hotels. So if you go, stay at an inn on Avenida Menandiz and skip the Old Jail, no matter what anyone tells you.

We're driving up to Lumberton, NC, tomorrow. I just ate a huge chunk of mint Oreo bark I didn't even like very much. And it's raining. Now you know what kind of day (and what time of the month) it's been. I just took an Arthritis Tylenol since no others were available. Hopefully, that will not prove to have been a huge mistake on my part.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen