Sunday, March 18, 2007

What's Your Favorite Disaster Film?

I admit it. I'm a sucker for a good disaster movie. Man against the elements, particularly the kind of elements that hurtle giant trucks, cows, and/or fireballs at the hero/heroines. Heck, I'll even watch a bad disaster movie. Ex: Volcano last week and, right now, The Day After Tomorrow (I'm also watching bits of Final Destination 2 during commercials).

The best disaster film of all time? I think it's Twister, with Independence Day and An Inconvenient Truth rounding out my top three (don't think Al Gore's doc counts -- you clearly haven't seen it). The non-docs succeed to me because of their sense of humor. But I also admit to a secret love of Daylight, though I watched that on a giant drive-thru style screen at an isolated camp in the woods of Maine at the age of 13. I have sincere doubts as to how it holds up 8 years later. But I remember being on the edge of my seat.

What's your favorite disaster flick? War films don't count, and if you write Titanic, I will make nasty comments about your mother. Just a warning.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen