Monday, April 28, 2008

How some bad songs STILL suck years later

On occasion, I feel a bit of nostalgia for 'NSync. Whoa, whoa, whoa, before you start lighting your torches, little village psychos, hear me out. Were 'NSync still around, Joey Fatone would not be the reality TV tyrant he is, I would still have hope that JC Chasez could do something awesome with his considerable music talent, and I wouldn't be depressed about Justin Timberlake being "taken" because he'd still have really awful, awful hair and a kind of annoying voice.
That, of course, has little to do with their music. I actively pretended to be above the thrall of NSync, but I was into those sappy teen songs, much like kids flock to Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana concerts today more for their crush on the "cool" teens than anything resembling sophisticated musical appreciation. Still, though, NSync's songs were largely harmless and you had to admire those harmonies.

But for God's sake, why on Earth would a radio station play any of the total garbage from their last album today? "Dirty Pop" has got to be one of the worst songs ever. Sure, it's trying to have a message, but it sounds like a weasel hopped into Timberlake's throat, squirmed for a bit, gnawed its way out, and then clawed JC Chasez with the remnants of Timberlake's esophagus--that's how both of them sound. Just awful. The song is so bad on so many levels, but not in the "it's so bad it's good" way of, I don't know, that MC Hammer song. Blech.

Anyhow, finished When a Crocodile Eats the Sun. Highly recommended for anyone who has the remotest interest in Africa and/or truly fine prose, who is/has been Jewish/is interested in World War II, and/or has a complicated relationship with his/her father. For everyone else, I don't really know what to say.

Went to the Vista in Los Feliz yesterday. Easily my favorite theater in LA so far.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen