Sunday, January 13, 2008

Globes

So, I'm fairly content with the winners of the Globes, though I am surprised by Duchovny and Fey's win. Not mad, just surprised. But Atonement? Argh. Sure, the first third of the film is fine, and Ronan's brilliant, and everyone loves the tracking shot... but over No Country? Over American Gangster (was that movie too approachable -- is that why it's only taken half serious)? Really? Please.
I haven't seen There Will Be Blood, so I have nothing to say on that subject. But Daniel Day-Lewis gives me the willies.

I just saw Away From Her, and Julie Christie is wonderful. It's an excellent first film (for Sarah Polley, that is). So I'm glad she won. I personally loved Gordon Pinsent more, but that's probably because I'm a girl.

How sad is it that I haven't seen a single one of the foreign films nominated this year?
Ah, well.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen