Tuesday, January 22, 2008

the world and The Kingdom

Today's one of those days when the world feels like a deflated basketball. Like it's truly given up hope of ever making another goal.

I think it's important to remember that no matter what, we are more present in the world than we think. We are tied in. You can't cut one part of the web without someone feeling it, without hurting the whole.
We don't last forever. We don't even last a little bit. We're hardly here in the grand scheme of things, and the only way we matter is to each other.
People matter. I may despise them most of the time, and I may not be able to make eye contact from sheer social retardation, but I understand that we are the best we've got. We have to be there for each other, or we won't make it.
The WGA have it right. Unity. Brotherhood. The whole shebang. Reach out to those in pain and in need, the isolated and the desolate, those who you haven't seen in a while. We're fracturing, and we need to come together. Time is too short to spend hurting each other or ignoring each other. You and me. That's the beginning and the end. We owe each other more. Our time. Our presence. Our love. Or at least our understanding. It's not that hard. The more you give, the more you receive.

***

Oscar nods in. Not too many surprises really. Rather than nitpick at the nods that were expected and (I think) far from deserved, I just want to say I feel a bit bad for James Brolin. He did some really fine work this year, and though everyone's noticed, no one's created a category for best overall year.

I'm also surprised The Simpsons Movie didn't get a nod, but Surf's Up did.

I just saw The Kingdom. That was actually a really well done film. I do like Peter Berg. And Jason Bateman. And Chris Cooper. Generally, a movie movie worth the

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen