Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Reminds me of Raymond

Hate has no place in my heart. My heart is too full of other things, like unrequited love and that damn gouda.

So, after noting that most people who see Juno love it, I decided if I was going to be a good person/writer/student/tobogganist, I would be best served by reading the Juno screenplay and moving to Aspen.

I can't move to Aspen, so my toboggan self-improvement is on hold, but I read the Juno screenplay.

My thoughts aren't any different about the majority of the film. What surprised me is how well Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman play their parts. And how nice and strange it is that a woman who loses her husband still gets to raise a child. The movie supports single parent households. That's nice.

But the jokes. Still forced, homeskillet. Maybe it's a Minnesota thing, but I'm not buying it.

So, I guess that's that. I'll defend Little Miss Sunshine and Good Will Hunting against all the naysayers til I'm blue in the face. I'll defend Crash til I'm like a somewhat lighter blue (because as much as I liked it, I'll grant you, it was heavy-handed... though if you saw it with the racist sumbitches I did, you might think it wasn't f--king heavy-handed enough), but I'm going to be on the other side of this Juno debate. I'm going to be one of the few, the proud, the snarky who just can't clap my palms off. B/c it's not a great comedy. And no one's going to convince me otherwise.

OK, dokey, now I'm over it and we can move on.

I watched The Number 23 today because I saw it at the library, and I was like, dude! Can't resist the inner dude.
I like Jim Carrey. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless MInd is one of my top 5 fave films ever, and The Truman Show is probably in the top 100. Everything he's done since he stopped doing painful, brutal, childish comedies has been, if not good, demonstrative that the man's very talented and is possibly even sane. Even in something like this paranoid flick, he is capable of, if not being, at least acting remarkably restrained.

I bought some nice shoes from Clark's today. They have heels, which means I'll be about Shaq's height in them, though I doubt I'll be as much of a baller.
Hahahaaahaha.

OK. I don't really have much to say. I'm just monumentally bored. Nothing on TV. Have read too much recently. I should go out. Get down with my bad self. What I REALLY want to do is go to the Museum of Natural History on Friday for this brain lecture followed by some indie music.
But I don't have anyone to go with...

Shed a little tear for me...

And -- we're done. Good night. Good luck. And good vibrations.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen