Saturday, September 8, 2007

Hannah and her Sisters

Today was eventful. Got my library card. Did a bit of walking around the old Oaks 'hood. And this evening I went to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery to watch an outdoor showing of Hannah and Her Sisters, which I've never seen. It's a good movie, very funny in unexpected places, and a great New York film. It actually made me nostalgic for Manhattan. It really shoots all over the city from Central Park to the Upper West Side, Tribeca, Midtown, Chelsea, I think, and so on. Whatever happened to Barbara Hershey? I feel like, in this day and age, she'd have a hard time getting a job, despite being awesome.



Funny enough, I seem to watch most of my Woody Allen films outdoors. I saw Bullets over Broadway in Dublin at Temple Bar outdoors in 2004. I like Hannah much better. In fact it's easily my favorite Woody Allen film. Hell, it may be the only Woody Allen film I actually like. OK, I take that back. Annie Hall was a little bit of alright.

But you gotta see the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. It's amazing. We're talking gorgeous heaven-on-earth kind of royalty weddings wouldn't be weird here. But right outside is absolutely scuzzy. You go around the corner and behind the Cemetery is the Paramount lot and things get nice again, but just that chunk north of the Cemetery is not nice.

You should totally attend one of these Cinespia screenings, though there's only one left of the season (next Saturday, The Exorcist) but here are the rookie mistakes I made you shouldn't make.


Gates don't open til 7. So if you arrive at 6:45, be prepared to wait in traffic outside the cemetery because they ain't letting you in. Bring 10 dollars in cash for each person going. Bring food. Bring blankets. Several. Don't park in the cemetery. Park on a nearby sidestreet like Van Ness or something. If you do park in the cemetery, which really isn't that bad, come in so you take a right into the cemetery, not a left. If you try coming in from the left, you will be fucked. Flashlights also useful. Be prepared for the possibility that while the guys behind you are toking up, the guys in front of you will be making out. Don't go alone. It's sad.

Read Michael Palin's Sahara. Killer.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen