Saturday, September 22, 2007

how things are, how things will be

Go here. It depresses me that the city of my birth will be pretty much wiped out in 2100.

Also, once again. Coal is not the answer.

The EPA is such a joke under this administration.
***********************************************************************************

It's remarkable how much present-day Keir Dullea looks like Keir Dullea 40 years ago did in "aging" makeup. I'm happy the man's still working.

I watched Year of the Dog last night because Mike White is part of the reason Freaks and Geeks was what it was -- and he wrote School of Rock. But Year of the Dog is clearly not my kind of film. The pacing is pure Paul Thomas Anderson, and what was marketed as a comedy is not really a comedy. There's a sort of flatness to it, and the tone is such that the exaggerated horribleness of some of the characters that should have been elevated to funny, the way Office Space does, just ends up depressing you. And Molly Shannon. If ever I were going to fault a film for being too even, it's this one.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen