Monday, June 16, 2008

Jurassic Park discussion continues

Okay, so back in this post, I found fault with Marc Bernardin's ew.com sci-fi misfire list, mostly because he didn't explain, clearly, what his beef was with Jurassic Park or Hitchhiker's Guide. He's entitled to his opinions, and I'm not one to pick a fight. But if he's going to dropkick a movie on an entertainment magazine site, he really should explain what "there's not much movie" there means. Not too much to ask, right?
Here, he explains that his real problem is that Jurassic Park is just too beautiful for him. Too much staring, not enough doing, running, and screaming from the get-go. Personally, I like watching these people, whose lives have been the study of extinct creatures, dealing with their Lazarus-esque return from the dead. Most movies have lots of action, little reaction (re: the latest Indy flick). He wanted more adrenaline from the outset, I suppose, not so much character development, not so much slow build--and that's an aesthetic preference. Fine. I respectfully will agree to disagree.

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen