Wednesday, June 25, 2008

ricotta chocolate chip muffins


So I made a variation on this recipe from Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe. I decided not to use cocoa, which she does, and I forgot to melt the butter all the way and then cool it all the way before I dumped it in. I also used the whole bag of chocolate chips plus about a 1/2 an ounce of Scharffen Berger... which was wayyy too much. I also threw in a bit of shredded coconut, but it's barely discernible.
Really, the problem is I was trying to replicate the muffins from Claire's and it didn't work. But they're still pretty good.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Place rack in the middle of the oven. Line 12 muffin pans with paper liners or spray with a non stick vegetable spray.

In a medium sized bowl, whisk the ricotta cheese and then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the milk, vanilla extract, and cooled and melted butter, mixing well. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the ricotta mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined and then fold in the chocolate chips. Do not over mix this batter or the muffins will be tough when baked.

Divide the batter amongst muffin cups using two spoons or a ladle.

Place in the oven and bake about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

Chocolate-Chip Ricotta Muffins:

1 cup ricotta cheese (I used part-skim milk)
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cup (320 ml) milk (again, I used skim)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons (57 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled (used salted, wasn't a problem)
2 1/3 cups (325 grams) all-purpose flour
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (170 grams) semisweet chocolate chips (use more and face the chocolaty consequences)

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen