Friday, February 9, 2007

Notes on Nothing Much

Here's a problem: I have four character names I want to use in my novel for purely aesthetic reasons and I have no room for any such characters. Yet. I'm afraid I might create a character whose presence in the novel is utterly gratuitous simply because I love the name. Sigh. Must. Abstain. From. Enticing. Gratuitous. Characters.

I just bought the song "September" by Earth, Wind, and Fire. It's my first Earth, Wind, and Fire song. It's not my first September song (holla, Green Day!). I like the word September. And suddenly, I want to name a character September. Grit. Teeth. Move. On.

I've never seen The Sound of Music. Never. Not once. I usually don't know it's on until halfway in, or it starts at 8 on a school/work night and goes on til midnight, so I can't watch it then. Now it's become a thing. I know, it's a crime. I've yelled at people who aren't intimately acquainted with the John Hughes oeuvre, as well as my stepdad, who had never seen It's A Wonderful Life and my best friend, who only recently got around to experiencing the joy that is Back to the Future (now I want to name a character Marty). Is there any classic/beloved film that you just can't get around to watching?? I'm sure I have more, I just can't remember what they are.

Reading Kelly Link's Stranger Things Happen because I feel a little lonely now that I've finished Magic for Beginners. It's more of the same so far but a little less daring, as quirky as the latter collection but not yet extraordinary. I swear, I haven't given up on Melville. Pamuk, however, is back in the library. I could only choke down so much of Istanbul before I flew down to the Sunshine State (that is what FL's called, right?).

No comments:

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with. I don't. Would you take two negative messages?
-- Woody Allen